Posted on | November 8, 2013 | 1 Comment
We’re revving up our engines, anxious to hit the road on November 25th when blogger posts go live and Passports with Purpose opens up for donations. Lots of amazing prizes are in the bag, and travel bloggers are now busy crafting posts to highlight what they have lined up.
How about you? Are you ready to publish a home run blog post? In the five years that we’ve been running this fundraiser, we’ve picked up a few ideas on what makes a great PwP prize post.
Here are our best tips for better blog posts:
- Basics – Although PwP is well known in the travel community, it may be new to your readers. Do describe PwP and how the fundraiser works. Refer to the FAQs for details. Since it can be a lot to put in one post, some bloggers prefer to write two blog posts: one describing Passports with Purpose, and another describing their prize. Keep in mind that we will link to the prize post from the catalogue.
- Eye on the Prize – Personalize the post. If you’ve visited or dreamed of the destination, do tell. If you’re offering travel gear, include a short review. Whatever you do, do include a photo of the prize. We will use it in the catalogue, and as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.
- Point of it All – Let readers know why you’re participating in PwP and tell them about buildOn, the recipient of this year’s goal to raise $115,000 to construct three primary schools and fund three Adult Literacy Programs in the Sikasso Region of Mali, Africa. Logo, images, and video can be found on the buildOn Tool Kit.
- Call to Action - Drive readers to bid on prizes. This year, bloggers will be able to add a Donate Now button that will allow people to bid directly from their post. (More on this soon.) Of course, you will also want to urge readers to check out all the incredible prizes that bloggers have contributed to the PwP catalogue.
- Thank Sponsors – It goes without saying that you will want to thank the provider of your prize, but do take a moment to thank the sponsors who help make PwP happen: Expedia (platinum sponsor); DK Eyewitness Travel—DK Eyewitness Guides and Rough Guides (gold); TBEX (silver sponsor); HomeAway, HostelBookers, Go With Oh, and Eating London (bronze sponsors).
- Link It Up – When the blog post is ready to publish–plan to finish by November 23rd–submit link to the PwP catalog form by filling out the Prize Hosting Form with information about you, your blog and the URL for your blog post describing your prize.
- Post Promotion – Don’t assume that your post will be seen. Share it on your preferred social networks, and add the #PWP hashtag and tag @PassportPurpose and @buildOnEmpowers so we can pass it forward too.
- Psst! Help us get a buzz on. Become a fan of PwP on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and share this site.
- Get your PwP bling and help out by posting our widget on your blog.
- November 23: Blog post should be ready to publish — submit link to the PwP catalog form via Prize Hosting Form.
- November 25, 11:59PM (EST) Blogger posts go live! PwP opens for donations!
- See the PwP 2013 Checklist for full upcoming schedule.